Winterborne Valley and Milton Abbas Benefice
The following policy was agreed at the Benefice Leadership Meeting held on 8th January 2019 and takes into account the Church of England’s Promoting a Safer Church [Jun 2017] policy.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our churches are committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Respond to those that may pose a present risk to others
To this end and in line with current legislation and the Diocese of Salisbury Safeguarding and Good practice Guidelines (June 2014) and the Church of England’s Promoting a Safer Church (Jun 2017) the parishes of the Winterborne Valley and Milton Abbas Benefice will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and PCCs to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities undertaken in the name of the Benefice.
- Display on church noticeboards and on the benefice website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the safeguarding policy, procedures and practices at least annually.
- Each person who works or holds office in this benefice will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this benefice.
The benefice appoints Mrs Angela D’Silva as Safeguarding Officer. Telephone 01258 880118
Signed by …..
Rev’d Alan John Ryan
Review date: 8th January 2020.
(Copy of original signed document available on request)